Incident Response for business with E-commerce platform
Immediate response in case of a major incident
For an immediate response, you must have an efficient and mobilized incident response team and e-commerce executives. Initial moments and their respective reactions play a crucial role in lessening the damage. After the declaration of a major incident, call for a tech team, with diverse skills set in order to mitigate the threat. With pre-planned responses and a modern approach, one can save time drastically. Here the question arises, how to mobilize a team with tough schedules and modes of communication to gain benefits out of their multiple skills and diverse knowledge. If the primary person fails to mitigate the threat, he must send some “keyword” to other secondary personnel in just a few clicks.
Data security and protection is a pivot point of eCommerce survival in the present day’s world. Data breaches and attacks put a full stop for a number of eCommerce businesses and if at any point their data gets to exposed, they have to face a plethora of vulnerabilities like disclosing of trade information, revealing of addresses, or passwords of potential customers.
A well-defined incident response plan enables an enterprise to work effectively for reducing the damage and damage cost. Simultaneously, it implements an essential plan for mitigating future attacks. It also happens that sometimes, the security team may face unknown or new cyber-attack and they may fail to implement incident response procedures to limit the damage. Wise response and swift shifting towards the pre-planned incident response steps can reduce the data breaches, reputational damage, and social negative impacts.
In 2013, retail giant Target had sacrificed more than 110 million of its customer’s credits and contact information. Similarly, Adobe also reported that it had comprised the IDs and passwords of its approximately 38 million active users. Moreover, another cyber-attack was reported in which Verizon had to face 53,000 cyber-attacks incidents via stolen credentials.
Data Breaches may put an e-commerce business on the dangerous path:
Data breaches give hackers the ultimate freedom to jeopardize eCommerce businesses and their customers. Data breaches can endanger an eCommerce business in multiple ways.
- Cost of hiring cyber teams and personnel for training purposes, for defense purposes
- In case of a potential attack, customers may lose their confidence and they may flee to some alternative options.
- A breach is always associated with a bad reputation and undesirable media coverage which jeopardized the company’s name.
Reasons behind the Cyber-attacks in eCommerce business:
- Hackers can use the leaked data to intrude in business operations and trade processes.
- They may start an anti-company campaign through attacked websites or leaked information.
- They sell business’s business plans, their ideas, market analyses, or future innovations or developments.
- Hackers might steal data for the purposes of extortion.
- They hack customer’s data like their ids, passwords, addresses, and phone numbers for personal attacks.
- Hackers want to gain some financial benefits by revealing the leaked information on the dark web and then earn through bidding. For example, 20 dollars is the usual amount for some personal identity.
- Attackers sometimes hack less important information to slip into customer’s major accounts and they get the confidential information through this less information.
The complication in the response process:
The issue that has been faced by some response teams is that the information traveled so far in the opposite direction. Effective communication is a wise approach and it’s paramount to inform the relevant persons but over communication and miscommunication further exacerbates the situation. This causes fatigue and undesirable tension. So, it must be ensured that the right triggers must be initiated.
Incident Response (IR) steps
Concrete steps for a rigid incident response must be taken:
- Preparation: Advanced planning is required for any plausible threat or attack and must prepare security incident response behavior. Build a team who would be responsible for managing and transferring all the adequate post-cyber-attacks responses to other employees
- Detection and Analysis: Detection of attack is also very crucial that will lead the cyber-security team to fix it. Every single detail of cyber-attack and post-analysis will further determine the complexity of the situation.
- Containment, Eradication, and Recovery: Containment and eradication strategy and its implementation is also a vital step of incident response that mitigates the hosts and systems under attack.
- Post-Incident Activity: Reviewing, analyzing different lessons learned, and having a plan for future retaliation. Establish a safety plan if the same or similar threat surfaces up. It may involve the implementation of suitable changes to security policies, staff, employees, or the cyber defense team.
written by: NetworkFort Team, email@example.com
24/7 monitoring and assistance from logic finder:
Logic finder has a team of skilled workers who are merely not threat detectors but also the response experts in case of any incident. The team members are remotely or physically present to implement response incident steps. Logic finder has complete preparation for all the security measures and has properly designed detection and analysis layout. We have implemented several innovative tools to improve response times and assist in following the incident response plan.
For further information, visit our website www.networkfort.com